Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Seeing Dollar Signs

I had a hard time with this challenge in that it is so different from the traditional card. It is graphically unusual and all hand drawn. The only stamping that was done was the 'congratulations' sentiment. I also added a digital sentiment on the card which I hope is still within the challenge guidelines. I thought I would sleep on it and see what I thought about it in the morning.. Well as you see I decided to post it anyway.. I really like the idea of the card and the color scheme is fitting for masculine theme.

Well here we go.. my submission for The Male Room Challenge Blog:

The triangles and diamonds are fitting for
the arrows on the larger then life dollar sign.
Color scheme triangulates nicely
on the color wheel.
I took this design more abstractly then just balloons or kites which was first thought to come to mind. So, I asked my children what words they thought of when I told them about the challenge. After some discussion and sketching the word 'promotion' came up and off I went to my craft area. 

Entering Challenge
The Male Room challenge #13

The letter 'S' was traced from a stencil but the rest of the panel drawn with a T-square and pencil then traced with a drawing marker at various thicknesses. The entire panel was colored using Mexpy alcohol markers and Prismacolor pencils. (For future reference, gold pencil is not my friend) I wanted a consistent blend of color but after some time with it it seemed very streaky and not able to behave the way I wanted. I did what I could and I think it turned out alright. All-and-all not my best work, but it was something different and inspired by this amazing blog which I think has one of the best challenges. Plus, it stretched my creative thought; so why not try it out. Nike said it best; just do it.. You won't know until you try and I feel that is what being an artist is all about.

That is it for me today! I hope you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for stopping  by and leave a comment good, great, or otherwise. Take care all and see you soon!

All the best,
Shawna 

6 comments:

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

How cool - I like things that are different - I get bored with the usual schtuff... - great card!!!!

Jane said...

Super twist on the challenge theme and you would feel up in the air if you got a promotion. Thanks for sharing with The Male Room.

BożenA said...

Wonderful men's card. I have a huge problem with creating cards for men, you're doing it with such imaginativeness that even I envy. I really like the way this card coloring, selection of colors perfect. Super card, very inspiring.
hugs,
BozenA

BożenA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monika Reeck said...

woooww all you drew it
two thumbs up with your idea
great idea with tha S (DOLLAR) and yes I am not fan of gold Marker too
better you try to use the gold from Kuretake Ganzai Tambi Watercolor set..
the gold is really great and creamy as watercolor dear
but I love the whole idea..could be a winner card this time again
happy Friday sweet friend
hugs and thanks for taking a problem to commenting my all cards dear you are a GEM
Monika

Petra Swart said...

Such a brilliant idea for the challenge, Shawna, and it definately bought a smile to my face!!!! Must have taken you some time to do, but the end result was worth all the effort!!! So creative!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Labels

(PIN)spirational (76) 4 Crafty Chicks (1) A Day For Daisies (3) AAA Birthday (5) AAA Cards (50) ABC Christmas Challenge (1) Addicted to CAS (41) Addicted to Stamps (2) Addicted to Stamps and More (31) All Dressed Up Challenge (1) Allsorts Challenge (4) Alphabet Challenge (2) Always Playing with Paper (11) Animal Friends Challenge (3) As You See It (12) Brown Sugar Challenge (12) CanYouCaseIt Challenge (1) Cards in Envy (21) Cardz4Galz (2) Cardz4Guys (12) CAS Colours & Sketches (26) CAS Mix Up (1) CAS on Fridays (8) CAS on Sunday (5) CAS Stencil Challenge (1) CAS Watercolour Card Challenge (12) CAS-ology (54) CAS-ual Fridays (4) CAS(E) this Sketch (90) CASEing Christmas (1) casology (1) Challenge Up Your Life (6) Christmas Card Challenge Blog (2) Christmas Card Throwdown (1) City Crafter Challenge Blog (37) Color Hues (8) Color INKspiration (2) Color My Heart Color Dare (41) Colour Q (26) Come and Get It Challenge (3) Craft Stamper Challenge (2) Crafty Cardmakers (2) Crafty Creations (1) Crafty Gals Corner (10) Crafty Hazelnut's Christmas Challenge (1) Create with Connie and Mary (8) Creative Inspirations (2) Creative Knockouts (5) Creative with Stamps (46) Cupcake Inspirations (28) Curtain Call (18) Daisy Chain Challenges (2) Daring Cardmakers (2) Day of the Month Card Club (4) Design Team (294) Double D Challenges (42) DRS Designs (4) Fab Friday (5) Fab n' Funky (2) Fantasy Stampers (1) Festive Friday (3) Freshly Made Sketches (125) Friday MashUp! (3) Fusion (33) Gina K. Designs (1) Global Design Project (2) Guest Designer (42) Hand Stamped Sentiments (18) Happy Little Stamper- Anything Goes with Dies (1) Happy Little Stamper- CAS (3) Happy Little Stamper- Christmas (4) Happy Little Stamper- Mixed Media (1) Happy Little Stamper- Sketch (1) HLS Christmas Challenge (1) Holly Jolly Christmas (1) House of Cards (49) If You Give a Crafter a Cookie (6) IN(K)SPIRE_me (5) Inkspirational (50) Inspire.Create.Challenge (1) Inspired by All The Little Things (10) Inspired By... (11) Jingle Bells (1) Joy of Sets Tic-Tac-Toe Challenge (1) Just Add Ink (14) Just Us Girls (59) Less is More (23) Let's Squash It! (1) Little Tangles Challenge (4) Make It Monday (2) Make My Monday (61) MarkerPOP! (1) Match this Sketch (1) Merry Monday Challenge Blog (2) MHK Designs (114) Miscellaneous (3) Mix It Up (1) Mod Squad Challenge (12) MoJo Monday (1) My Time to Craft! (6) Naughty or Nice Challenge (3) NBUS (7) One Layer Christmas Card Challenge (2) Paper Craft Crew Challenges (7) Paper Pals Arts (2) Papercraft Challenge (4) Pattie's Creations Design (3) Pause Dream Enjoy Challenges (1) PolkaDoodles Challenge (1) Rainbow Card Challenge (6) Retro Rubber Challenge (21) Retro Sketches (4) Rubber Dance Blog (1) Runway Inspired Challenge (2) Seize the Birthday (9) Sentimental Sundays (1) SheepSki Designs (1) shopping (1) Shopping Our Stash (15) Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge (5) Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge (6) Simon Says Stamp Work it Wednesday Challenge (1) Sister Act (1) Sketch Saturday (13) Society of Stampholics (3) Sparkle and Shine (3) SSS Wednesday (10) Stampin' Royalty (2) Stamping Sensations (7) StampInkPaper (5) STAMPlorations-Theme & Sketch (3) StampPeddler (26) Sunday Stamps (48) Sweet Stampin (4) Technique Tuesday (1) TGIF Challenges (3) The Card Concept (36) The Challenge (4) The Color Throwdown (120) The Crafty Addicts (1) The Flower Challenge (15) The House That Stamps Built (1) The Library Challenge (4) The Male Room (89) The Merry Christmas Challenge (2) The Paper Craft Crew (1) The Paper Players (120) The Sisterhood of Crafters (2) Tic Tac Toe Challenge (4) Time Out Challenge (26) Try Stamping on Tuesday (2) Tuesday Morning Sketches (1) Tuesday Throwdown (11) tutorial (1) Twofer Challenge (14) Virginia's View Challenge (5) Waffle Flower (1) Watercooler Wednesday Challenge (12) Wednesdays Creative Inspirations (4) Weekly Christmas Challenge (1) Your Next Step (1)